Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tuesday is the new Saturday

I've been saying it for quite sometime now, that Tuesday is the new Saturday. I sweartogod it's the truth.

Last Tuesday September 28th, I started my night at The Slippery Noodle with blues harmonica legend Charlie Musselwhite. An excerpt from my review on NUVO.net:
Musselwhite’s harp style is unique and he impressed me with his dramatic crescendos, all the way down to a barely audible puff of air through his instrument. He threw his voice from a sing to a growl with zero effort in a matter of seconds. And while most of the music was upbeat and played at a comfortable speed, Musselwhite did express a certain fondness for more a more traditional sound. “Slow blues- gotta have it,” he said. “Gotta have some slow blues.”
After that, I headed to The Melody Inn for the weekly installment of their EDM night titled "Juxtapoze". Special guest drum and bass DJ Klute was the out-of-town headliner (I missed his set due to some technical difficulties as he began, my lack of patience, and a 7:30 start time for work the next morning), but I was really just there for the dubstep anyways. Altered Thurzdaze (IndyMojo.com and G9 Collective's bi-weekly dubstep event at The Mousetrap) resident DJ Kodama was set up in the back room when I arrived, busting out grimey tunage well past the scheduled close of his set. Win.

Bass face!
Butterfly_89000, That DJ Girl, and JK

The next morning on IndyMojo.com, I made this post to the Klute thread in the discussion forums:

I had an epiphany last night during Kodama's set. Allow me to put it into simile format:

EDM (specifically, dubstep) is to music, as chronic is to weed.

In other words...

All my life I've been content with what I knew in regards to music. I wasn't unhappy or displeased with what I was listening to. But once electronic music found its way into my life, it feels like now nothing else can ever compare. I still like and enjoy other types of music, but just a little less than electronica.

... just like smoking really good weed. Or having really good sex. The other stuff is still okay, but once you've had the best, nothing else can really compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment