Sunday, September 26, 2010

Animal Gangsta Rap, Phishy Sounds, and Face-Melting Funk

Lounge Soundsystem played on the deck of The Monkey's Tale from 8-9:30 last night. A surprise, special encore put the microphone in front of the band's drummer, Tyson Tiede (who usually remains vocally silent as he pounds out rhythm looking very much like The Muppets character Animal). What came next is really unknown to me; it was some kind of gangsta white boy rap full of incoherent, curse word-laden, verse. And it was awesome.


============================


Next, I took College Avenue downtown to the MassAve Festivall. It was after 10 p.m. and the single-day festival's headliner, UV Hippo, was on stage. I dressed my arms in glow sticks and headed towards the gate. Security let me pass without paying and without checking for credentials, since the event was nearing its close. 20 or 30 people remained, tightly huddled around the front of the stage while bopping around to the psychedelic sounds of UV Hippo.

It was cold. And windy. And I soon realized how much the band's wandering, unmethodical music reminded me of Phish. That meant it was time to go.

============================

Two hours later, I was standing in a cloud of smoke inside The Mousetrap before one of Indy's best bands, The Twin Cats. I've seen them play at countless festivals and multiple venues around town, but nothing beats a show at The Trap with The Twin Cats' face-melting funk. Although a lot of Indianapolis bands have strong local followings, no other group can guarantee a packed house that goes strong until 3 a.m. every. single. time.

No comments:

Post a Comment