Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Butterfly Tour 11/5

Cyberoptix was at The Mousetrap on Thurzday and I went to bed around 3 or 4 that morning. Lucky for me, I scheduled Friday off of work.

I had a meeting with my editor at NUVO around 11 on Friday. We talked about a regular "Nightlife" column that will be added to the print version of the magazine early in 2011 and we brainstormed on what type of content should fill the space. Funny? Sarcastic? Heavy on photos? Advice, tips, and tricks? Reviews? Informative? Opinionated? Only time will tell...

The first stop on The Butterfly Tour that evening was at White Rabbit Cabaret in Fountain Square for the MarchFourth Marching Band. I'll be posting a review of that to my NUVO blog, so if it's not in that column along the left, then it will be soon.

After that, I drove north to the The Vogue for "Static Shock: where hair & fashion meet music & art". I was primarily interested in seeing AudioDax, but was curious to see the format for the event as well. Impeccable timing put me inside the venue minutes before AudioDax came on. Considering the amount of production put into the songs, their live show remained remarkably true to the original compositions. The set was active, but movement was limited to the two emcee's jumping around the stage and flailing their arms in lieu of instruments. I started in the front row, but quickly left the hoard of college frat boys I found myself immersed in. Literally... " 'scuse me," one said as he scooted in from the side with his camera. As if I'd asked for validation, he squealed at me with a burst of excitement, "These guys are in my fraternity!"

From my new position along the back of the concert floor, I observed a catwalk extending into the audience that was apparently used in the fashion show portion of the event. Except I personally only saw one really drunk girl use it in her attempt to maintain a sexy demeanor while stabilizing her intoxicated body horizontally on the catwalk. After less than half an hour inside The Vogue, I had seen enough.

Over on Guilford at Tru Night Club my good friend, fellow mofo, and fellow Jay County native Kelli Whitenack was having her birthday party. The overwhelming number of Indy Mojo members was fun and exciting, nostalgic and touching. When we do fun things in big numbers, we do it better than anyone else around. From massive events like The Zombie Walk, to co-ed strip club outings, to invading Tru Night Club on a Friday night to support Matt Allen and celebrate Kelli's birthday- its always more fun (and safe) in mixed company. "Who are you here with?" one of my non-mojo friends asked me on the side. I slowly made a large semi-circle in the air with my hand as I turned and faced the mass of mofo's that had swarmed the dance floor. "All of them," I replied.


John Larner's set was heavy on Top 40 music and proved to be annoyingly unpredictable;  those who had come to dance found it difficult to locate a solid beat. Furthermore, the tracks were uncomplimentary from one to the next and his choices lacked cohesiveness. Soon after Larner was done, however, we danced away Matt Allen's hour in the blink of an eye- an invigorating set that included both ample amounts of Weezy and a fun classic by Eurythmics.

1 comment:

  1. This particular weekend tour is one I wish I would have been free for! I'm sad I missed Kelli's birthday, and eagerly anticipating your review of the MarchFourth show at the White Rabbit!

    ReplyDelete